Continuing its year-long advantage over competition in the data services sector of the telecoms industry, telecommunications firm, Globacom, has again consolidated its lead in subscriber acquisition. The company, by so doing, has sustained its position as the preferred internet service provider for Nigerian subscribers.

In the 2016 first quarter industry report released by the regulator, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the next generation network, Globacom, recorded an additional 1,448,354 new internet subscribers during the first three months of the year. The figure comprises 354,178 for January, 248,593 for February and 845,583 for the month of March. Globacom’s total internet customers at the end of the quarter stood at 26,530,420. 
The company’s 1,448,354 figure for the first quarter under review amounts to 80% of the total number of new customers who subscribed to internet services of the four major telecom operators, while Airtel’s 319,229 new data subscribers and Etisalat’s additional 53,068 customers make up the remaining 20% of the total figure of 1,820,651 new internet subscribers for the quarter.
On the other hand, MTN which began the quarter with 39,924,737 data customers ended it with 33,356,595. This amounts to a significant loss of over 6.5million internet subscribers in just three months.
During the same period in 2015, Glo had 946,202 new internet customers, MTN recorded 1,286,205, Airtel had 2,331,160 while Etisalat had 3,994,810 new data subscribers.
Globacom dominance in the internet market followed its improved data network, smoothing of its last mile delivery infrastructure to bring to customers fast and reliable internet solutions. The company has also introduced unique data packages with unmatched value which have given it firm control of the data segment of the telecom market. 

1,348 total views, 2 views today

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.