MEET THE 9 MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN LIRS
Lagos Inland Revenue Service (LIRS) has a new management – and here are the powerful people that constitute it…
1. Executive Chairman, Mr. Olufolarin Ogunsanwo: He graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife in 1988. He was awarded a Master’s degree in Economics from the University of Lagos in 2003. He is a consummate tax administrator having joined Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue in 1991. His experience acquired over two decades spans all essential areas of tax administration. During this period, he served as pioneer manager in several tax stations and also created regional offices for efficient management of tax stations. He was an active member of the think-tank established by the Board to boost revenue generation for the state and made significant contributions to strategies outlined by the group. The execution of these strategies culminated in the increase of average monthly revenue of the state from N6bn in 2005 to about N23bn in 2015. Mr. Ogunsanwo served as Secretary to the Board of Internal Revenue from 2000 to 2005. It was in recognition of his extensive experience as a tax administrator, his sterling qualities and his contributions to the various reforms carried out during his tenure as the Board Secretary that he was appointed Executive Chairman of Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue in September 2015. His vision for the agency is to significantly increase the taxpayers’ base and revenue generation, especially in the informal sector (markets, artisans and small and medium size professional practices), increase voluntary tax compliance, build a skilled, competent and motivated workforce, renew institutional controls and reinvigorate the enforcement procedure amongst others. He has attended several trainings within and outside Nigeria in the course of his tax administration career. Mr. Ogunsanwo is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (FCTI) and Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (MNIM). He is happily married to Mrs. Oyindamola Ogunsanwo and they are blessed with three children.
2.DIRECTOR, FINANCE & ACCOUNTS, Mr. Maruf Oludare Tijani: He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Ogun State University, Ago Iwoye and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (FCA) as well as an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. He joined Lagos State Civil Service in 1989 and has risen steadily through the ranks, holding various positions in Finance and Accounts. He became a Senior Accountant in 1998 and rose to Chief Accountant in 2007. In 2010, he was promoted to Assistant Director and in 2011 was deployed from the State Treasury Office to the Lagos State House of Assembly as Head of Accounts. He was promoted to Deputy Director in 2014. Mr. Tijani is a consummate technocrat and has held senior positions in several government agencies like Central Licensing Authority, Board of Internal Revenue, LASTMA, Lagos State Waterfront & Tourism Agency, State Treasury Office and Lagos State House of Assembly. He was deployed to Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as Director, Finance and Accounts in September 2015. He is happily married and blessed with lovely children.
3. DIRECTOR, PERSONAL INCOME TAX, Mrs. Folasade Coker-Afolayan: She is a Law graduate of the Ogun State University, Ago-Iwoye and holds a B.L from the Nigerian Law School. She also obtained a Master’s degree in Law from the University of Lagos with specialization in Tax Distrain and Enforcement Procedures. She started her legal career as an associate in the chambers of Toye Coker & Co., and thereafter joined the Lagos State Civil Service as a State Counsel (Civil Litigation), Lagos State Ministry of Justice. She was seconded to Lagos State Board of Internal Revenue as an Assistant Legal Adviser in 2003. She has served in various committees which have helped in building a robust platform for tax administration in Lagos State. She rose through the ranks at the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service and served in various capacities including; Assistant Legal Adviser, Head of Distrain and Enforcement/Criminal Prosecution and Assistant Director, Tax Audit. She was appointed Director, Personal Income Tax in September 2015. She is a member of the International Bar Association, Nigerian Bar Association and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria. She has also attended various international tax trainings, seminars and conferences, with a view to keeping tax administration in Lagos State at par with International Best Practices.
4. DIRECTOR, SPECIAL DUTIES & INFORMAL SECTOR, Mr. Owolabi Kamson: He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from University of Lagos (1988). He also holds a Master’s degree in Business Adminstration (MBA) from UNILAG. He has over 23 years banking experience during which he played various roles in banking, from branch/commercial banking to treasury, marketing and public sector marketing. He retired from banking in June 2014 as a Deputy General Manager to run his private enterprise. He has attended several courses in Business and Banking both home and abroad, including SMP – Lagos Business School, Fontainebleau France. He is an honorary member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria. He joined Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as Director, Informal Sector and Special Duties in January 2016.
5. DIRECTOR, LEGAL SERVICES, Mr. Seyi Alade: He is a alumnus of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife where he obtained an LLB degree in Law in 1997. He became a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria upon his call to the Bar in the year 2000. He began his legal training as a litigation officer with the Court of Appeal Lagos where he worked for a brief period. He thereafter went into private practice with reputable law firms, gaining tremendous experience while also achieving commendable milestones. He had handled several tax advisory, information and communication technology, commercial and civil litigations and many other legal assignments involving oil and gas, construction, banking and public sector matters. As a versatile lawyer and administrator, Mr. Alade set up his own private practice, Seyi Alade & Co. where he doubled as the Managing Partner and Head of the Commercial Group. His private practice covers the Nigerian fiscal, tax advisory and intellectual property environment. He regularly advises corporate entities, project sponsors, fund managers, banks on corporate compliance and various commercial matters.
Mr. Alade is a consummate professional with high ethical values, a passion for completeness and perfection and an uncommon flair to work out bespoke and practical solution to issues. He is a member of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and the International Bar Association. He is happily married with children. He joined the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as Director, Legal Services in September 2015.
6. DIRECTOR, ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES, Mrs. Arinola Kola-Daisi: She graduated from the University of Ibadan in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. She also obtained a Master’s in Business Administration from the University of Lagos in 1990. Her 25 year career in banking commenced at the then Chartered Bank in 1990 where she held various positions in corporate and commercial banking. Arinola served as Head of Consumer Banking in Prudent Bank and later as a Regional Director responsible for the supervision of branches in Ikeja area. In Skye Bank, she served as Head of Retail Banking responsible for product development, growth of the totality of the consumer banking business, management of international franchises (Western Union and Moneygram) and the revenue collection business bankwide at local and state government levels. She retired from Skye Bank in June 2014 as General Manager, Commercial Banking with responsibility for supervision of the retail and commercial business of the bank in Ikeja and Greater Lagos area. She is an Associate Member of Wimbiz (Women in Management Business and Public Sector). She joined Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as Director, Administration and Human Resources in September 2015. She is happily married.
7. DIRECTOR, NEW GROWTH AREAS, Mr. Ayodele Adebayo: He holds a Higher Diploma in Accountancy from the prestigious Yaba College of Technology, Lagos. He is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Accountants (ICAN) as well as an Associate member, Chartered Institute of Taxation. He is an alumnus of the Lagos Business School and the London Business School where he attended Executive Management courses in Management and Leadership. He has over two decades cognate banking experience and commenced his banking career at Centre Point Merchant Bank where he worked as a Banking Officer, Treasury. He then moved to Fountain Trust Merchant Bank and served in various capacities in Treasury, Finance and Commercial Banking. He later joined Magnum Trust Bank Plc where he held several management positions in the bank between 1999 and 2003. Following the merger of Magnum Trust Bank with four other banks in 2006 to form Sterling Bank, he was transferred to Abuja as the Group Head, Public Sector in charge of all public sector funds. He had responsibility for driving various government businesses and franchises which took him to 35 states of the federation. During this period, he structured and managed various projects with state governments and was instrumental in facilitating the building of a strong revenue base. Mr. Adebayo joined Lagos Internal Revenue Service as Director, New Growth Area in September 2015.
8. DIRECTOR, TAX AUDIT, Mrs. Bolaji Akintola: She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, MBA in Taxation and Finance, Diploma in Management Accounting and qualifications in Computer Applications from City and Guild of London Institute. She equally holds several professional qualifications including FCMA, ACTI, AIPAN and is also a Member of CIMA (UK) Business School amongst others. She was MD/CEO Payroll Solutions Ltd. MD Bismowak Insurance Brokers Ltd. Auditor with Threshers Plc (UK). Mortgage Adjudicator at Her Majesty’s Department of Social Security (UK). Her first job was with African Petroleum Plc, (Southern Division, Apapa), after which she worked with Union Bank of Nigeria Plc and later with Lever Brothers Nig. Ltd. She was appointed as Director, Tax Audit, to the Board of LIRS on Monday, 20th September, 2015. She was Head of LIRS Tax Audit Directorate from 19th May, 2015 to 19th September, 2015. She was promoted to Deputy Director, Tax Audit in May 2014. Before then, she was Assistant Director, Tax Audit, in charge of Tax Audit Field Staff and Hotel Occupancy & Restaurant Consumption (HORC) Tax Audits. She has attended several national and international trainings, workshops and conferences, including a comprehensive programme on HM Revenue & Customs Enquries and Audits.
9. BOARD SECRETARY, Mr. Jimi Aina: He holds a Bachelor’s degree from the Lagos State University. He started his career in Caledonian Motors as a business development officer before setting up a real estate development company, Amity Mortgage Investment Company where he developed several construction projects across Lagos State. He doubled as a Business Development consultant for the prestigious Wise View Legal Consultancy, where he was responsible for Special & Political Client Management. His versality across different disciplines earned him exemplary relationship management skills. He joined Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as Board Secretary in September 2015. He is happily married with a child.
2,166 total views, 0 views today