As an eventful 2014 comes to a close, it’s time to take our annual look at the videos, moments and channels that shaped our year. The 2014 list which includes the biggest viral hits from the most popular channels in the country show that individuals and teams from Nigeria’s creative industries have recognized, and are taking advantage of the growing power of trending videos to drive pop culture like never before.
A look at Nigerian music favourites for 2014 reveals that while Nigerians joined the global community in catching Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda “bug”, it is music from top Nigerian stars that kept us dancing through the year. Topping other equally popular videos like ‘Dorobucci’ by Mavins, ‘Wanted’ by Tiwa Savage, ‘Ikwokrikwo’ by Flavour and ‘Surulere’ by Dr. Sid to become the most watched musical video in Nigeria in 2014 is the widely popular track ‘Aye’ by Davido. Note-worthy is the fact that ‘Anaconda’ was the only track on the list that isn’t Nigerian.
Once again, and for the 2nd year running, comedy was a major feature on the list of most watched non-music videos in Nigeria, with the channels; AYTVAYTV and BoviTV by celeb comedians, Ayo Makun and Bovi Ugboma taking 5 of the top 10 places. A testament to the growing comedy / parody fan community on YouTube in Nigeria.
The title of the most watched non-music video however goes to the hugely viral “Chibok Girls: First Lady Breaks Down In Tears” which beat other news-related videos like ‘Arik Air’s flight from Hell’ and ‘Nigeria girls ‘shown’ in Boko Haram video’ to 9th and 10th positions. This makes it the 2nd year in a row that news-related content created by the Channels Television channel would go viral, and into the Top 10 list after “Oga at the Top” became 2013’s number 2 most watched video.
Globally, the world watched the Mutant Giant Spider dog more than 110 million times, making it the top trending video of 2014. First Kiss, iPhone 6 bend test and the recently released 10 hours as a woman in NYC which sparked off a ‘Walking as a woman’ series on YouTube are some of the other videos that made it to the list.
In celebration of the people, memes and moments that made up an epic year, 120 global YouTube creators gathered for the annual Rewind video: a giant, global mashup looking back at the best of 2014 on YouTube. You can check it on YouTube Rewind 2014 Channel.
Behind every great video is a great channel, and the channels behind this year’s top videos have millions of subscribers around the world. Thanks to videos and channels like these, you’re now watching more than 7 billion hours of video every month on YouTube, and uploading 300 hrs of video per minute.
Be sure to visit google.com/yearinsearch also for Google’s annual look at the people, places and events that captured the world’s attention.
Top 10 Videos watched in Nigeria in 2014 (Non-Music)
- Chibok Girls: First Lady Breaks Down In Tears
- Helen Paul Gets Her Deliverance After Jim Iyke
- “No Man Can Resist My Body…” – SATANIC SEDUCTION!
- Caught On Camera: Snake Devours Crocodile After 5 Hour Battle
- I Go Dye’s Performance at AY Live Lagos
- Maga Don Pay (Starring Bovi, Adunni & Odogwu)
- The Affair Ft Bovi & Kate Henshaw
- The Bad Samaritan ft Bovi & Adunni
- Arik Air’s ‘Flight from Hell,’ and ‘Air Rage.’
- NEW: Nigeria girls ‘shown’ in Boko Haram video
Top 10 Music Videos watched in Nigeria in 2014
- Davido – Aye (Official Video)
- MAVINS – DOROBUCCI ft Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Dr SID, D’Prince, Reekado Banks, Korede Bello, Di’Ja
- Nicki Minaj – Anaconda
- Tiwa Savage – Wanted [Official Video]
- Flavour – Ikwokrikwo [Official Video]
- Dr SID – SURULERE ft Don Jazzy (Official Video)
- Yemi Alade – Johnny
- Davido ft Mafikizolo – “Tchelete (Goodlife)” (Official Video)
- P Square – Taste the Money (Testimony) [Official Video]
- Patoranking – Girlie ‘O’ Remix [Official Video] ft. Tiwa Savage
Top 5 Ads watched by Nigerians
- 70g Indomitables Pack Launch by Indomie Noodles
- LG ULTRA HD TV (4K) by LG Africa
- Thermocool – Always There For You by Thermocool
- [Kia] 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ TV Commercial by Kia Motors Worldwide
- Konga.com Marketplace: Sell And Buy Online in Nigeria Now by Konga
Global Top Trending Videos for 2014
- Mutant Giant Spider Dog (SA Wardega) by SA Wardega
- Nike Football: Winner Stays. ft. Ronaldo, Neymar Jr., Rooney, Ibrahimović, Iniesta & more by Nike Football
- FIRST KISS by Tatia PIlieva
- The Voice IT | Serie 2 | Blind 2 | Suor Cristina Scuccia – #TEAMJ-AX by TheVoiceOf Italy
- iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test by Unbox Therapy
- Bars & Melody – Simon Cowell’s Golden Buzzer act | Britain’s Got Talent 2014 by Britain’s Got Talent
- Budweiser Super Bowl XLVIII Commercial — “Puppy Love” by Budweiser
- Devil Baby Attack by DevilsDueNYC
- Goku vs Superman. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 3. by ERB
- 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman by Street HarassmentVideo
Global Top Music Videos for 2014
- Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J
- Enrique Iglesias – Bailando (Español) ft. Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona
- Shakira – Can’t Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna
- Shakira – La La La (Brazil 2014) ft. Carlinhos Brown
- Jason Derulo – “Wiggle” feat. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video)
- Iggy Azalea – Fancy (Explicit) ft. Charli XCX
- Sia – Chandelier (Official Video)
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
- Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass
- Nicki Minaj – Anaconda