You just can’t help but burst into laughter on coming face to face with popular actor, comedian and producer, John Okafor. Widely known as Mr. Ibu, this thespian oozes comedy from nearly every pore in his body. Many at times interpreting the role of a stupid and idiotic fellow, even that, rather than decrease the number of his fans, keeps shooting it up.
YES INTERNATIONAL! Magazine recently delved into his life and here are some of the secrets we uncovered. And which also we believe will interest his fans:
1. Before he got magnetized by acting, he was a refrigerator cum electronics repairer.
2. He attended a Technical College in Sapele, Delta State.
3. His first movie role came in 1994 – and the title is Rolling Stone.
4. In the 80s, he played a cameo role in the defunct Hotel de Jordan.
5. His native and middle name is Ikechukwu.
6. He went into acting so that people will watch him on television – and just like he used to watch others.
7. He divorced his first wife, Favour in 1996, and married another one, Stella-Maris in 1998.
8. He met his new wife at a beauty pageant where he was a judge and she, a contestant. Today, they have two sons and one daughter – JayJay, Emmanuel and Chelsea.
9. Unknown to many, he is a grand father (of two), courtesy his first son, from his first marriage.
10. Until God decided to bless his family through him, they used to rank among the poorest in their village. In fact, things were so rough for them then that they were living in a rented house in their own village in Nkanu, Enugu.
11. His father was poisoned by his best friend! This was in 1976.
12. He neither smokes nor drinks. He also claims he doesn’t womanize.
13. The four movies that shot him to limelight and changed his life and career for good were Mr. Ibu, Agony, Uncle Wayward and Jealousy.
14. As a Glo Ambassador, he got a call from billionaire businessman, Dr. Mike Adenuga, Jnr when his mother died.
15. He was born on October 17, 1960 and used to reside in Onitsha, Anambra State where he was struggling then to make ends meet.