REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI, AT THE WOMEN POLITICAL ASPIRANTS SUMMIT ORGANIZED BY NATIONAL COUNCIL OF WOMEN SOCIETIES (NCWS), WOMEN IN POLITICS FORUM (WIPF) AND NATIONAL CENTER FOR WOMEN DEVELOPMENT (NCWD) IN COLLABORATION WITH OFFICE OF THE WIFE OF THE PRESIDENT
ABUJA, THURSDAY 30TH AUGUST, 2018
I am happy to attend this Summit, which signifies the spirit of Nigerian women organized to support women political aspirants in our politics.
2. Women constitute more than 50 percent of voters, and are by experience more dedicated and principled than their male counterparts.
3. Politicians rely on women voters because their word is usually their bond. Women stand by candidates they believe in all the way so politicians do a lot to gain their confidence.
4. On this note, let me recall and thank Nigerian women who put their confidence in me and voted for me in 2015. It is my hope that the confidence is still there; seeing this gathering. I am confident that it will remain.
5. Nigeria is a country of opportunities and possibilities. It is blessed with productive and skilled manpower, coupled with resources still being harnessed. With the right leadership at all levels, appropriate mindset and strong institutions, we can attain great heights.
6. Let me use this opportunity to state that the challenges we have witnessed since 2015 have given way to dividends, which can only increase considerably and translate to better infrastructure, more jobs and more food on the tables of Nigerians.
7. A few months ago, I met with female parliamentarians and they raised issues concerning the passage of Gender and Equal Opportunity Bill now before the National Assembly and the implementation of 35 percent affirmative action, among others. I am fully in support of both positions because these measures will improve the representation of women in our politics.
8. Let me add my voice to the call on women to contest for political offices and effect the changes they want to see. I am confident that women can make great leaders and move the nation forward.
9. Finally, I urge all political parties to create the enabling environment for free and fair playing grounds where women can contest elective positions and participate in our political process.
Please have a fruitful deliberation.
886 total views, 6 views today