Ahead Saturday, September 22, 2018 governorship election in Osun State, President Muhammadu Buhari was in town to campaign for APC’s candidate, Mr. Gboyega Oyetola.
Below are some of the reasons he gave the people on why they should vote for Oyetola as Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola’s successor…
REMARKS BY H. E. MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AT THE OSUN STATE APC RALLY FOR THE GOVERNORSHIP CANDIDATE, ALHAJI GBOYEGA OYETOLA
1. I am always pleased to visit Osun State. The hospitality, the warmth and the friendliness is clear for all to see. Today, we are here to celebrate the past and plan and work for the future.
2. Four years ago, I was here along with so many of you, to give support to Governor Rauf Aregbesola who was seeking to renew the mandate of the people of Osun for a second term. I was in Osogbo again in 2015 for my presidential campaign. I returned in 2016 to commission Osogbo Government High School, one of the 11 mega schools constructed by the Rauf Aregbesola administration.
3. The 2014 Gubernatorial election in Osun took place just a few weeks after our party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), had suffered an unexpected setback in Ekiti State. This setback created an atmosphere in which most Nigerians were fervently hoping and praying for the APC to pull back the frontiers of PDP.
4. We are here to thank Almighty God for the successful eight years tenure of the APC Government in this state under the leadership of His Excellency, Rauf Aregbesola, the Omoluabi of Yorubaland.
5. We are also here to pray to Almighty God to safeguard and consolidate on this through Isiaka Gboyega Oyetola.
6. You are fully aware of this great partnership story. Oyetola is a partner, a trusted advisor, a brother and a friend to Governor Aregbesola. They have seamlessly worked together for many years serving you.
7. By electing Oyetola as your Governor, you are guaranteeing the consolidation of these successes.
8. Eight years after Governor Aregbesola took the mantle of leading the business of Government in Osun, the state now has excellent infrastructure for primary and secondary schools. The school that I commissioned in 2016 is one of the best schools in Nigeria. But more work remains to be done. Oyetola is ready for work.
9. Osun State has empowerment programs to support entrepreneurs.
10. You had school construction and rehabilitation programs to improve the quality of education
11. You had hygiene, sanitation and health care programs to improve the quality of life
12. You had security and outreach programs that enhanced peace and stability in your communities.
13. These programs are clear examples of a Government working for its people. An APC Government. A Government where All citizens Belong.
14. We are rehabilitating the Ila-Orangun- Oke ila- ilale Akan Road at the sum of N5.19b.
15. We are repairing the Ijebu – Ijesha road all the way to the Ekiti State Border at the cost of N562.55m
16. We are committed to completing the Gbongan – Iwo road as well as the Ojutu Bridge in Ilobu.
17. The construction of affordable houses to provide opportunities for a broad range of residents from diverse social and economic backgrounds is on course.
18. We are building transmission lines and sub-stations across the State to improve electricity supply and distribution.
19. We have implemented our social investment programs including school feeding and implementation of agricultural projects that have supported thousands of farmers.
20. We have signed the $6.6 billion rail contract for the Ibadan to Kaduna rail line. This line will pass through Osogbo thereby connecting Osun to not only Ibadan and Lagos but also to Ilorin, Minna and Kaduna. There will also be a single track branch line that will connect Osogbo to Ado-Ekiti.
21. We are also completing some very old roads whose contracts were awarded many years ago. The Ife – Ondo road that was awarded 12 years ago and the Gbonga – Kwara State road which was awarded 9 years ago.
22. Although the previous federal leadership abandoned these projects leaving the citizens to suffer, we have decided to complete them in order to improve the lives of our citizens in spite of the level of resources available to us.
23. These projects and many other infrastructural projects will further open up Osun and its citizens to the rest of the country.
24. We will continue to complete old strategic projects. We will also continue to develop and implement new impactful projects. This is our covenant not only to Osun but to all Nigerians.
25. Ladies and gentlemen, as you can see, our party has no tolerance for corruption. We will continue to ensure inclusiveness and economic diversification.
26. Nigerians kicked the corrupt and selfish leaders out of the Federal Government in 2015. And by the grace of God, the voters will continue to keep them out of leadership positions until we permanently consign their corrupt governing style into the history books.
27. Nigeria must be free of corrupt and selfish leaders. The children of all Nigerians will get quality infrastructure, education, health care and job opportunities. This is why you must all come out and vote for APC on 22nd September 2018.
28. Osun must remain APC. Osun must continue on the path of progress. Osun must not allow the dark days to return.
29. A. P. C ! A. P. C !! A. P. C !!!
30. God bless our Country.